This site uses cookies to store information on your computer. I'm fine with this Cookie information

Emergency department

For accidents or serious emergencies such as

  • strokes
  • heart attacks
  • head injuries
  • wounds requiring stitches

go to the nearest Emergency department or call 999.

We have five A&Es that remain open all year round to treat patients who have a serious injury or medical emergency.

They are at:

  • Queen Elizabeth University Hospital
  • Royal Hospital for Children
  • Glasgow Royal Infirmary
  • Royal Alexandra Hospital (RAH) in Paisley
  • Inverclyde Royal Hospital in Greenock

It is important that you only use the A&E for serious injuries and major emergencies. For everything else there are local hospital based Minor Injury Units (MIUs), GP services (including out-of-hours via NHS 24 on 111) and your local pharmacy.

If you think it is an emergency phone 999.

If your child needs emergency care, know where to go

The A&E of the Royal Hospital for Children (RHC), the RAH in Paisley and Inverclyde Royal Hospital are open all year round to treat children with a medical emergency or serious injury.

Major Emergency

If your child is seriously injured or becomes so unwell that you think it is an emergency you should dial 999. The Scottish Ambulance Service will take your child to the  RHC unless they deem it more appropriate to go to a closer A&E.